- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 pounds)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Hot cooked spaghetti, optional
1Flatten steak to 1/2-in. thickness. Rub with 1 tablespoon oil. Combine the bread crumbs, parsley, cheese, garlic, oregano, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Spoon over beef to within 1 in. of edges; press down. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; tie with kitchen string.
2In a Dutch oven, brown meat in remaining oil on all sides. Add onion and cook until tender. Stir in the tomato sauce, water, Italian seasoning, sugar and remaining salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 70-80 minutes or until meat is tender.
3Remove meat from sauce and discard string. Cut into thin slices; serve with sauce and spaghetti if desired.