🧡Cranberry Orange Scones🍊
- 4 cups plus ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest (2 oranges)
- ¾ pound (3 sticks) cold unsalted butter, diced
- 4 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (½ pint) cold heavy cream
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 egg beaten with 2 tablespoons water, for egg wash
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 4 teaspoons freshly squeezed orange juice
1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
2In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix 4 cups of flour, ¼ cup of granulated sugar, the baking powder, salt, and orange zest.
3Add the cold butter and mix at the lowest speed until the butter is the size of peas. Combine the eggs and heavy cream and, with the mixer on low speed, slowly add to the flour and butter mixture.
4Mix until just blended. The dough will look lumpy! Combine the dried cranberries and ¼ cup of flour, add to the dough, and mix on low speed until blended.
5Dump the dough onto a well-floured board and knead it into a ball. Flour your hands and a rolling pin and roll the dough just under 1-inch thick. You should see small bits of butter in the dough. Keep moving the dough on the floured board so it doesn’t stick. Flour a 3-inch round plain or fluted cutter and cut circles of dough.
6Place the scones on the prepared sheet pan. Collect the scraps neatly, roll them out, and cut more circles.
7Brush the tops of the scones with the egg wash, sprinkle with granulated sugar, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the tops are browned and the insides are fully baked.
8The scones will be firm to the touch. Allow the scones to cool for 15 minutes and then whisk together the confectioners’ sugar and orange juice and drizzle over the scones.