- 9 ounces white or vanilla cake mix (1/2 of an 18-ounce package)
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 ounces plain non-fat yogurt (1/2 of a 6-ounce container)
- 1/4 cup strawberry all-fruit preserves melted
- 1-1/2 cups whipped cream (3/4 cup heavy cream whipped with 1 tablespoon confectioner’s sugar to make 1-1/2 cups or natural whipped topping such as Truwhip)
- 1 pint strawberries, washed, hulled and sliced
1Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Coat an 8-inch round baking pan with cooking spray, then dust it with flour.
2In a large bowl beat 9 ounces of cake mix (about 1/2 an 18-oz. package), the egg white, water, oil, vanilla and 3 ounces yogurt with an electric mixer until well blended, 2 to 3 minutes.
3Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and bake until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 35 minutes.
4Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully remove the cake from the pan and place it on the rack to cool completely.
5Split the cooled cake horizontally into 2 layers. (I use a thin serrated bread knife.)
6Place the bottom layer cut side up on a cake plate. Spread 1/2 the preserves over the bottom layer. Cover with half the whipped cream or whipped topping and half the strawberries.
7Top with the remaining layer, cut side down. Coat with the remaining preserves and whipped topping.
8Arrange the remaining strawberries over the top.